Walking route Křížová hora – Horní Brána
hike ⋅ 4.8 km (circuit) ⋅ 1.5 hours ⋅ elevation difference 140 m ⋅ easy ⋅ suitable for children ⋅ asphalt, field/forest path ⋅ restaurants on route
The walk will take you to a Baroque pilgrimage site on Křížová hora (619 m above sea level) above Český Krumlov, a memorable spiritual location with strong energy and romantic surroundings. An octagonal chapel located on Křížová hora has recently been opened to the public, transforming it into a living cultural and pilgrimage site. On the way to the site, which you will find less than 2 kilometres from Náměstí Svornosti (Concord Square), you can visit one of the landmarks around the south meander of the Vltava River or stop at one of the restored chapels of the Stations of the Cross. However, be prepared for a steeper climb. Your reward will be a stunning view of Český Krumlov and nearby Kleť.
Attractions along the route
- South meander walking circuit – Municipal Park, Fotoateliér Seidel Museum, synagogue, garden house – Egon Schiele Garden Studio, picturesque terraces with a Český Krumlov vineyard
- Swimming in the Vltava – gentle banks into the river in the Municipal Park and by the garden house – Egon Schiele Garden Studio
- Mid-18th century Stations of the Cross
- Pilgrimage site on Křížová hora - Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows, picture “The Krumlov Madonna 2020” in the cloister
- Unique views of Český Krumlov, Blanský Forest and the Bohemian Forest
- Swimming in the Upper gate pond, children’s playground with climbing wall, volleyball and beach volleyball courts
From Náměstí Svornosti, head across the Municipal Park around the south meander of the Vltava. Cross the river and take Po vodě Street along the other bank of the river back as far as the junction near Penzion Prelát Guest House. From there, turn on to Křížová Street. After a few metres you will come to the first chapel of the Stations of the Cross. After a further climb along the blue marked hiking route you will find nothing but grassland lined with chapels, from where you can enjoy beautiful views of the town. On the way back, head along the red marked route to the Upper gate, where we recommend stopping for a well-earned rest by the Upper gate pond.
Route: Náměstí Svornosti → Kájovská Street → Linecká Street → Po vodě Street → Křížová Street → Stinná Street → U sáňkařské dráhy Street → Křížová hora → Šumavská Street → Upper Gate → Příkrá Street → Kaplická Street → Horní Street → Náměstí Svornosti